I think I have a cataract! im only 60?

Dr. Val Zudans
Ophthalmology

In brief: Young cataract

Cataract can occur at any age, including congenital cataract.
My youngest cataract patient was 1 week at the time of surgery. My oldest was 99 years old. Most patients are around 70, but it can definitely occur in the 50s and 60s especially for those on chronic steroids for autoimmune conditions and diabetics.

In brief: Young cataract

Dr. Val Zudans
Dr. Val Zudans
Dr. Sadiqa Stelzner
Ophthalmology

In brief: Natural aging

Cataract developes as we age.
Most people developes cataract after the age of 50 which is early and asymptomatic. It becomes symptomtic with advancement of age. Cataract can develope at any age from an eye trauma. Premature cataract can develope from steroid use, certain systemic health problems and smoking. Cataract surgery can fix it.

In brief: Natural aging

Cataract developes as we age.
Dr. Sadiqa Stelzner
Dr. Sadiqa Stelzner
Dr. Jodi Luchs
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: No Worries

Cataracts are extremely common, especially after age 50 or 60, although they can be founs at any age.
See your ophthalmologist if you are concerned, and to confirm the diagnosis. Cataract surgery is the most common surgical procedure performed in the usa and the results are spectacular.

In brief: No Worries

Dr. Jodi Luchs
Dr. Jodi Luchs
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: Normal

It is normal for the natural lens to start turning cloudy in your late 50's to early 60's.
Unless you are having symptoms, nothing needs to be done. If you are having symptoms, you should see and ophthalmologist. 60 is earlier than the average, but many have had surgery at or before age 60 for cataracts.

In brief: Normal

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Theodore Wu
Ophthalmology

In brief: Cataract

Cataracts can occur in people of all ages.
Even babies can have cataracts. Senile cataract often begins later, but can occur in someone who is 60. Risk factors for cataract include smoking, certain medications, sun exposure, aging, diabetes, and family history. If you are concerned about a possible cataract, see your local ophthalmologist.

In brief: Cataract

Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Harvey Fishman
Ophthalmology

In brief: Any age is possible

Cataracts can form at any time in your life.
I have performed cataract surgery on teenagers and recently a patient 104 years old. In addition to your inherited genetics, more typical risk factors including tobacco use, oral prednisone, inhaled steroids, diabetes, or rheumatologic disease to list a few.

In brief: Any age is possible

Dr. Harvey Fishman
Dr. Harvey Fishman
Dr. Michael Sayegh
Ophthalmology

In brief: Perfectly normal

It is expected that baby boomers will notice their cataracts sooner. The average boomer has a more active lifestyle with a high visual demand, the cataract will interfere sooner with daily activity.
Your ophthalmologist will counsel you further and introduce some exciting options in cataract surgery to virtually eliminate your need for eyeglasses.

In brief: Perfectly normal

Dr. Michael Sayegh
Dr. Michael Sayegh
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Ophthalmology

In brief: Cataracts can happen

Cataracts (a white lens change): most often due to/made worse by (most common first): aging, genetics predisposition, excessive sun exposure, smoking, diabetes, steroid medication, previous trauma, inflammation, infection in the eye causing inflammation; previous intraocular eye surgery; other genetic conditions; can be congenital; More info: eyedoc2020@blogspot.
com

In brief: Cataracts can happen

com
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Dr. William Forsythe