Hi there, I am a 23 year old female. The last 4 times I have been to the dr, I had raised bp. This morning, it was 156/96. What does this mean?

Dr. Phillip Goebel
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Needs intervention

If you are consistently having elevated blood pressures in that range you will need to have it controlled with medications while also trying to control it with changes in diet and exercise.
Your doctor will also look for other factors that are making your blood pressure be that elevated despite your relatively young age.

In brief: Needs intervention

Dr. Phillip Goebel
Dr. Phillip Goebel
Dr. Tanya Russo

In brief: White coat

Many people with have transiently elevated blood pressures simply because they are in the doctor's office, particularly if anxious.
It will be important to start a blood pressure log for a more complete assessment of your status. Take and write down your BP twice daily (morning and night) for a month, then have your doctor review it.

In brief: White coat

Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham