What is the best way to get off Prozac (fluoxetine)? I have been on antidepressants for 6 months. I want to get off of them.

In brief: It is best to taper

off the prozac (fluoxetine) under the supervision of your physician/ psychiatrist.

In brief: It is best to taper

Dr. Carrie Cannon

In brief: Ask doc

With help from your physician.
If you have had more than one major depressive episode, it would be better to stay on them longer because it recurs at the rate of 50% after 2 and >90% after 3 episodes. Prozac is so long acting that it tapers itself for the most part, but you may feel muscles jumping independently and other withdrawal symptoms while decreasing your dose by 10mg every 2-3 weeks.

In brief: Ask doc

With help from your physician.
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu

In brief: Discuss

with your doctor your symptoms and your reason to quit the medication.

In brief: Discuss