I massaged a knot in my lower left back and it got worse. why would this happen and how can I fix it?

Dr. Meskath Uddin

In brief: Can happen

Knot in muscle, sore areas and trigger points can get temporarily worse after massage and physical therapy before they get better. Try heating pad, over the counter topical pain preparation and oral pain killer. But do not give up your working out and stretching b/cz of soreness

In brief: Can happen

Dr. Meskath Uddin
Dr. Meskath Uddin
Dr. Tanya Russo

In brief: Muscle spasm

When a muscle starts to spasm, it becomes shorter. One goal of massage therapy is to lengthen muscles.
Occassionally muscles that are already in spasm will shorten MORE in response to attempts to elongate them, which is why a trained massage therapist will use special care with them. Applying cold packs to the area may help stop the nerve signals that keep the muscle tight. Advil (ibuprofen) can help too.

In brief: Muscle spasm

Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. Tanya Russo
Dr. William Forsythe