Does hypochondria and post-partum depression go hand in hand? My wife is not doing what I expected of her.

Dr. Miroslava Fox
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Adjust expectations?
Did you and your wive had a baby recently? Having a baby is an adjustment for the woman (physical and emotional).
It also changes family dynamic.Depression can also express itself through physical sx. Post-partum depression is very real; if your wife needs help of someone who treats post-partum depression, she should get it. As for you, you need to adjust our expectations -- it makes living easier.

In brief: Adjust expectations?
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Hypochondriasis is an anxiety disorder, and anxiety is a very common concommitant of major depression.
Ppd can be quite severe. It is of course very difficult for the woman experiencing it who is suffering deeply. It can be very difficult for the husband because the usual emotional signals and messages are severely distorted. You will need great patience--and assistance. Ask her psychiatrist.

Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Hmmmm . . . .
It's likely that your wife needs your help, rather than your expectations.
Post-partum depression is a very real condition. If present, hypochondriasis merits help also. Maybe you can help her get the evaluation and care she needs? A wise person told me: "an expectation is a resentment waiting to happen." but you need help also, since men can have post-partum depression as well. Take care.

In brief: Hmmmm . . . .
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham