What over-the-counter treatments can I buy to treat my athlete’s foot?

Dr. Jason Campbell

In brief: Antifungals

The most common and quite effective otc treatment for tinea pedis (athlete's foot) is Lamisil at or terbinafine topical as a 1% cream applied to the feet twice daily for 1-4 weeks.

In brief: Antifungals

Dr. Jason Campbell
Dr. Jason Campbell
Dr. Theodore Caspe

In brief: All OTC can be used

Athlete's foot does not resolve with few applications of medication.
You must use the medication 2 times a day for at least 4-6 weeks. You may see some improvement early but continue the treatment for 4-6 weeks. If OTC don't work then ask your doctor for a prescription strength. You must also wear breathable shoes, moisture absorbing socks and keep you feet as dry as possible.

In brief: All OTC can be used

Dr. Theodore Caspe
Dr. Theodore Caspe
Dr. Karen Han
Dermatology

In brief: Antifungals

Athletes foot (tines pedis) is a fungal infection most commonly caused by trichophyton rubrum. Most t rubrum respond to terbinafine cream obtainable over the counter. If your rash does not resolve, you should see your doctor for evaluation.

In brief: Antifungals

Dr. Karen Han
Dr. Karen Han
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni

In brief: Antifungal creams

Terbibafine 1% cream (lamisil) is applied twice a day for 1 week.
Butenafine (mentax) is also effective, as is Econazole Nitrate (spectazole) moccasin type athletes foot with thickened skin may require oral medicines, such as terbinafine or griseofulvin.

In brief: Antifungal creams

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Lamisil (terbinafine) AT

For basic athlete's foot, Lamisil (terbinafine) at is very effective.
However, because fungal skin infections can be difficult to completely eradicate, i generally advise my patients to "use it twice as long." use the Lamisil (terbinafine) at daily until free of all symptoms, then count the number of days it has been used, and use it for that many more additional days.

In brief: Lamisil (terbinafine) AT

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine