How can I help my baby manage separation anxiety?

Stay calm. Separation anxiety is a normal developmental milestone at 9-12 months that means your baby has " object permanence, " a mental representation of someone/something he can't see. Tell him you're leaving in a calm manner, saying, "i'll be back" and say, "i'm back" when you return. Practicing leaving for short periods helps him learn both the words and that he can trust your consistent return.
Patience & comfort. Infants become aware of the difference between primary caregivers and others @ 6-9 mo. Sadly, their brains don't allow them to realize you exist when they do not see you, so they begin to express fear when you leave. This improves gradually after games like peek-a- boo teach the concept. Accept this as a normal stage.Avoid showing anxiety as baby will sense it & worry. Comfort baby at all times.