Can doing chin ups relieve back pain?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Possibly

I do not recall seeing chin ups as a good exercise for back pain however, theoretically they may help because the strengthen the latissimus dorsi muscle which is a hugh muscle that contributes to the muscular "corset" that protects the spine.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
I may help strengthen your other muscles which may then help better support your back.
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Probably not

First deternine the cause of your back pain.
Chin ups are more likely to build your biceps and shoulder girdle muscles. Consider a trial of core strenghtening exercises as a better option in addition to postural changes and altered lifting habits.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik