Is there anything I can do to help myself feel better when I have shingles?

Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: Cold

Putting something cold on it might help also zostrix (capsaicin) might help.
If you ever feel the fire or burning that is the time to go to the doctor, even if you can't see anything because that is when the antiviral medication works the best and can even prevent the breakout!

In brief: Cold

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: First of all...

...Seek treatment as soon as possible.
The sooner you start taking an antiviral (valtrex, famvir, etc.) the sooner you will feel better. Medicines that curb pain and/or inflammation (ibuprofen, tylenol, (acetaminophen) etc.) may also be helpful. Your doctor or a dermatologist will have many treatment options available, depending on where your shingles is located and how severe it is.

In brief: First of all...

...Seek treatment as soon as possible.
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern