My friend failed the Montreal cognitive assessment? He's 19 does this mean he has dementia?

Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology

In brief: Just a tool

The MOCA is just a screening tool.
There are many reasons why your friend would struggle with such a test. This test does not diagnose dementia. Dementia is not very common in 19 year olds. Your friend will probably have some other testing to help determine the cause of his problem.

In brief: Just a tool

The MOCA is just a screening tool.
Dr. Olav Jaren
Dr. Olav Jaren
Dr. Warren Everett

In brief: No

The test is not meant for 19 yo.
That said, the person who gave him the test might have thought your friend in mentally retarded. it is hard for me to assess this situation. Your friends therapist should have told your friend something. Is his condition getting better, worse, or stable? ASking the people evaluating your friend would be productive.

In brief: No

The test is not meant for 19 yo.
Dr. Warren Everett
Dr. Warren Everett