Hi, I have DVT in my right leg , can I over elevate my leg, because I like to elevate my leg since my doc. Don't give me meds for the swelling n pain?

Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Compression therapy

After a DVT the venous congestion causes post phlebitis syndrome.
Typically this is associated with pain and swelling of the leg. You need to have compression therapy for the leg. Pain medication and diuretics will not help. Untreated this will lead to worsening swelling and ulceration of the leg.

In brief: Compression therapy

Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Theoretically, yes

If you are elevating your leg all the way to 90 degrees, then that is probably too much.
Even 45 degrees is ok. But if you are still having a lot of pain with that much elevation, you need to talk to your doctor, as the others have said.

In brief: Theoretically, yes

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Keep elevating.

If still symptomatic, see your doctor to check if you are candidate for tpa (alteplase) infusion or trellis procedure to remove or dissolve the clot.

In brief: Keep elevating.

Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Luis Villaplana

In brief: You need something

Else at this point? I am not aware of the particulars in your case, so i'm not comfortable giving you my opinion.

In brief: You need something

Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Robert Stuart

In brief: Not likely

You probably can't elevate your leg too much as long as you don't cause orthopedic injury! :-) but don't let your leg elevation turn into immobilization since that can worsen blood clots.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Robert Stuart
Dr. Robert Stuart
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Leg elevation

There is no benefit to elevate your leg just by lying flat it is enough You may have more benefit by using a support or compression sticking As the clot resolves the swelling and associated pain will improve Also I'm assuming that you are taking an anticoagulant or blood thinner they add to reduction of inflammation as well Have to be careful with taking aspirin or Aleve etc as they may thin blood

In brief: Leg elevation

Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Vicken Poochikian