How does the doctor check for hemorrhoids? When I have a bowel movement blood comes out. I was thinking that's what it was.

Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Exam

Digital exam, anoscopy? Other causes can include fissure, polyp or cancer.

In brief: Exam

Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Could be, but...

The most common cause of bright fresh appearing blood in, or usually around the stool, are inflamed hemorrhoids.
Most people have at least small internal hemorrhoids, but don't bleed. It could be an anal fissure, which is a small cut in the anal wall. Drink lots of water and put a hemorrhoidal cream on nightly for a week.. But, any blood that goes beyond once or twice in the stool, see doc.

In brief: Could be, but...

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery