I sprained my thumb in a car accident on monday. How long do I need to keep the splint in it! ?

Dr. Gregory Harvey
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Thumb sprain

You may only have to use it for one week as long as there is no significant ligament damage or a fracture.
Any problems check with an orthopedist.

In brief: Thumb sprain

Any problems check with an orthopedist.
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Franklyn Farrell
Occupational Medicine

In brief: Injury Treatment

Most musculoskeletal injuries take 6-12 weeks to heal.
Most of the time, with injuries like this, some muscle, tendon and ligaments are injured all at the same time. The muscles heal first within the first two weeks (pain goes from constant to intermittent), then the tendons heal, and finally the ligaments heal. Check with your doctor first, but expect to wear the splint for a few weeks.

In brief: Injury Treatment

Dr. Franklyn Farrell
Dr. Franklyn Farrell
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine