Could I or my sexual partner have herpes (any type) without knowing or outbreaks for years?

Dr. Donald Mantz
First outbreak of herpes in the most severe, but sometimes not noticed.
Can look like skin irritation or simple rash, and in women can be internal. Classic herpes is a red area with a cluster of small blisters in the center. Can form a shallow open sore. Later outbreaks can be separated my any length of time, sometimes years. Usually triggered by stress, insufficient rest, poor diet, other illness.

Dr. Donald Mantz
Dr. Donald Mantz
Dr. Lonna Larsh
It is very common for children to get herpes on their lips.
It is possible to not have an outbreak for years and then get one in adulthood. The classic first case of herpes is very painful, large sores, very obvious. However I have seen cases of herpes that were quite mild when the patient had no known prior episode. It's difficult to know whether these were mild initial cases or recurrences.

Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham