I have trichotillomania, I have seen a phyciatrist & he has given me the lightest dose of Prozac (fluoxetine) to try out. I havn't started taking it yet. Should i?

Dr. Donald Haupt

Trichotillomania, or compulsive hair pulling, is a form of obsessive compulsive disorder.
The best treatment for OCD is a combination of serotonin boosting meds, like prozac, (fluoxetine) and cognitive behavioral therapy. Usually, in OCD spectrum disorders, a higher dose of Prozac (fluoxetine) will be necessary ultimately but your doctor is right to start you on a low dose so that you can get used to it.

Dr. Donald Haupt
Dr. Donald Haupt
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Prozac (fluoxetine) can help...

Prozac (fluoxetine) can help, esp.
When combined by the treatment of choice for "trich": habit reversal training. Hrt involves (a) awareness training; (b) learning to substitute a behavior that competes w/hair-pulling; & (c) social support. And hrt tends to be even more effective & enduring when combined with cognitive behavioral therapy, acceptance & commitment therapy ordialectical behavioral therapy.

Prozac (fluoxetine) can help, esp.
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Dr. Ana Adelstein