What causes piriformis syndrome.Could it cause pain in the whole leg and knee?Does it cause difficulty in stepping on foot.Please help?

Dr. Tom Harrington
In brief: Pyriformis syndrome
Pyriformis syndrome is pain in the buttocks cause by imbalance of the pyriformis muscle that crosses near the sciatic nerve that can cause sciatica just like a herniated disc.
I have had this and there are some great online stretching exercises to help as well as to diagnose this condition. See your pcp and ask to see a good physical therapist who may help you sort things out.

In brief: Pyriformis syndrome
Dr. Tom Harrington
Dr. Tom Harrington
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine