I have widespread livedo reticularis so I'm used to mottled skin, but my new tan from the beach has revealed pale mottling now too. What is this?

Dr. Warren Everett

In brief: Tinea versicolor

this is a fungal infection of the skin.
Where it doesn't tan is the fungus and is commonly seen after trips to the beach. A treatment with antifungal pills and then keeping your skin treated with selsun over many months will help keep it from recurring

In brief: Tinea versicolor

this is a fungal infection of the skin.
Dr. Warren Everett
Dr. Warren Everett
Dr. Richard Zimon
Good Point ...this should be ruled out of course!
Dr. Richard Zimon

In brief: Not to worry

There is UNEVEN tanning with skin having the livido mottling to begin with.
The deeper the tan the less it will be obvious. Make sure you use a good protective tanning cream!! Avoid DIRECT sun rays. AVOID BURNING!!!

In brief: Not to worry

Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr. Stephen Sisselman

In brief: Tinea versicolor

Sounds like u could have a topical skin infection caused by a skin fungus.
It's not serious. See a dermatologist for evaluation and management. For now try an anti-dandruff shampoo daily on your skin. Good luck!

In brief: Tinea versicolor

Dr. Stephen Sisselman
Dr. Stephen Sisselman