What should I expect in the days and weeks following my lower anterior resection (lar)? Is there anything I should be prepared for?

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Depends

It mostly depends on whether you have a diverting ileostomy or not ("a bag").
If you don't, then the main changes relate to the increased frequency of bowel movements. Many patients have less warning that a bowel movement is coming. Most patients have a low energy level for a few weeks that gets better. Watch for signs of infection (wound drainage, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting).

In brief: Depends

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Surgery

In brief: Month

Aboit a month to be all back to normal.
3-7 days in the hospital or until bowels move then liquid diet and advance s tolerated. Depending if laparoscopic or open surgery then the wound healing is from 2-4 weeks. After all heals back to normal, may have mores frequent bowel movements for a while.

In brief: Month

Aboit a month to be all back to normal.
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery