I have an L5 s1 herniated disc. I am having surgery next week. What can I expect? How long is recovery time? Will I be able to perform daily tasks?

Back surgery. Recovery time could be 4-6 weeks or more depending on how extensive your surgery is. Every back is different, and your surgeon will determine whether you will benefit from just a microdiscectomy or whether you will require a more extensive laminectomy or even fusion. You should still be able to perform activities of daily living with necessary precautions.
Recovery. This is variable for each individual, some can be many weeks, some can be many months. This involves your spinal cord and if not dealt with carefully can lead to paralysis. This conversation needs to be between you an your neurosurgeon. Follow up closely, best of luck to you in your procedure.