How does anxiety cause occasional blurred vision, halos around lights, and eye strain?

Norepinephrine. anxiety=increased norepinephrine (adrenaline) the chemical messenger which speeds up the whole human system-BUT check in with an eye MD (ophthalmologist) for other causes.
Affects Eye Muscles. Anxiety raises the level of activation of the sympathetic nervous system (the "fight or flight" system). This prepares the person for anticipated danger. Vision needs to be very sensitive to light or movement, but the details don't matter as much when you are facing a tiger in the dark (for example). And fight or flight is not supposed to last, it is a strain over time.