What happens in your body to lead to rheumatoid arthritis?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: See below

This means that your immune system which usually makes specific antibodies to fight off infection from foreign intruders starts making antibodies that attack your own native tissue, in this case the lining of the joints called the synovium. When this attack occurs the joints become very inflamed and as a result of this inflammation, the joints begin to get damaged.

In brief: See below

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Genetic and envirome

Genetic and environmevertal factors playy a role.
Is the enciting mechanism viral? I think so, but this has never been proven. Hormonal factors come into play: estrogen versus testosterone. Woem get this disease at 8-11 x more so then men. Certain protein deficencies in the immune system, such as c4 and c2 or more common than expected. Very complicates sutuation. Much research is needed.

In brief: Genetic and envirome

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey