What meds are useful for the symptoms of psychosis?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Antipsychotics

Antipsychotics are well established as the most effect treatment for psychosis.
Sometimes other medications may be used in addition, for example, if someone is psychotically depressed. But, the mainstay for treating psychosis itself is an antipsychotic.

In brief: Antipsychotics

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott

In brief: Antipsychotics

I agree with dr. Elliot.
Antipsychotic medications are the mainstay of treatment. However, it is also important to determine if there is an underlying treatable cause for the psychotic symptoms. Medical causes of psychosis can include dementia, drug or alcohol intoxication or withdrawal, brain tumors, medication side effects (such as steroids, stroke, etc.

In brief: Antipsychotics

I agree with dr. Elliot.