My mother died in 1997 of a horrible disease called my cancer is it in my genes to and is it possible that I'm gonna die of it too ?

Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Sorry to hear

If you are asking "can I ever have cancer?", the answer is yes, just as any one can.
If you are worried about increased risk due to your mom, it depends on many factors. At your age cancer is rare but I suggest you discuss this with your doc. He/she will review your personal and family history and make recommendations for you.

In brief: Sorry to hear

Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Probably not

Most cancers are caused by external, environmental factors.
Only about 5% are genetically transmitted and those are related to the BRACA gene in breast cancer and the mutations in those colon genes causing hereditary polyposis. Yearly physicals, breast exams, sonography without mammography until 35 and periodic colonoscopy will prevent the more common malignanies from developing.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Adam Smith