I have a terribly painful u.t.i. And was prescribed bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim). I think I missed my dose this a.m. and my pain is unbearable.Can I take 2 bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) at once?

Dr. Gloria Lopez

In brief: No.

Taking a double dose will probably not speed thing up, and you may experience more of the side effects.
Take AZO (OTC) urinary pain relief to help out until the antibiotics take effect. It provides fast relief of urinary pain, burning, urgency, and frequency. Taking more fluids, like cranberry juice, may also help the symptoms.

In brief: No.

Dr. David Houghton
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Just resume dosing

Taking an extra dose won't help you feel better any sooner and may cause more side effects.
Drink lots of water. Phenazopyridine can get rid of stinging immediately while waiting for antibiotic to work. It's available without prescription. If not improving in 2 days you may need a different antibiotic.

In brief: Just resume dosing

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine