How do norethindrone, etonogestrel, and levonorgestrel compare in terms of health/safety risks, side effects, and androgenic activity?

Dr. Stephen Southard

In brief: Some answers

Androgenic activity wise from high to low: levonorgestrel, norethindrone, etonogestrel.
Overall the health/safety risks are very similar. There is some small suggestion that 3rd generation progestins, like etonogestrel, have increased risk of thromboembolic disease like DVTs. Otherwise the androgenic effects are related to oily skin, acne, weight gain, glucose metabolism issues.

In brief: Some answers

Dr. Stephen Southard
Dr. Stephen Southard
Dr. Cynthia Archer

In brief: Challenging question

I would love to research this and try to put the answer into 400 characters, but I doubt it could be done.
This is a more complex question than meets the eye. I can tell you this much, safety and efficacy are roughly identical. Potential androgenicity and a table comparing the three drugs likely in Goodman's and Gilman's Pharmacological Basis of Therapuetics. Will post link if I find it in comment

In brief: Challenging question

Dr. Cynthia Archer
Dr. Cynthia Archer
Dr. Cynthia Archer
OK, I found a fantastic resource on the web that will give you more information than you can shake a stick at... some of the newer oral contraceptive hormones have anti-androgenicity properties as well. Have at it. www.glowm.com/section_view/heading/Pharmacology%20of%20Contraceptive%20Steroids/item/385
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham