How accurate is the hydrogen breath test for SIBO? It showed a spike from 2 to 5 to 27 and 29 at 60 and 90 minutes. My doctor said I have it.

Dr. Melissa Gowans

In brief: IBS +/- SIBO

There is general consensus that breath tests are abnormal in IBS, however the disagreement lies in whether this is representative of SIBO.
The abnormal breath results so common in IBS patients do not suggest SIBO, and state that "abnormal fermentation timing and dynamics of the breath test findings support a role for abnormal intestinal bacterial distribution in IBS."

In brief: IBS +/- SIBO

Dr. Melissa Gowans
Dr. Melissa Gowans
Dr. Peter Kurzweil