Had carpel tunnel release surgery 3 months ago on right hand,now have pain and swelling in thumb and its locking when it is bent. what is the problem?

Dr. Peter Nefcy
Radiology

In brief: Possible contracture

There is a relatively high (ie: up to 10 percent) incidence of development of flexor tendon contractures after carpal tunnel surgery.
Although these are mostly seen in the second though fifth digits, it can also happen in the thumb. If your initial surgeon does not address this in an appropriate fashion, please get a second opinion from a specialist.

In brief: Possible contracture

Dr. Peter Nefcy
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Dr. Eric Kelts
Neurology

In brief: Possible Problem

Although carpal tunnel release surgery is usually successful, it is possible that you are having an issue.
I am concerned that one of the tendons running to your thumb is inflamed. I would contact your surgeon tomorrow morning, or sooner if you develop fever, chills, drainage or other symptoms of infection. Good luck and stay healthy!

In brief: Possible Problem

Dr. Eric Kelts
Dr. Eric Kelts
Dr. Steven Brown
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Trigger thumb

You have developed a trigger thumb caused by stenosing tenosynovitis.
The flexor tendon is held up at the A1 pulley at base of thumb. Is an inflammatory disorder and usually responds to steroid injection. If not surgical release of the pulley is indicated

In brief: Trigger thumb

Dr. Steven Brown
Dr. Steven Brown