Stepkids want nothing to do with me. So how can I get over my shame and guilt?

Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Step Children

Making a relationship with step children can be difficult, try not to blame yourself as they may act the same way with anyone in your position.
If possible consult with a family therapist and see if you can all attend sessions in the future. Also discuss with your partner the reality of your guilt as you may be carrying over some issues from the past. Best.

In brief: Step Children

Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Shame

Shame is just about the darkest emotion people can face.
It presupposes that there's an audience to our alleged wrongdoings, and that devastating judgement will be passed. Something to remember is that everyone has something they feel ashamed about; it's inescapable. Find a reputable psychotherapist to speak with. Getting it off one's chest in a safe, nonjudgmental place is the first step.

In brief: Shame

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Brian Lynch

In brief: Shame

Shame is precisely what you're experiencing "shame is not getting what you want.
" guilt is the fear that you've done something wrong and you will be punished. Guilt does not help us solve the problem. Getting over guilt is another question. It is difficult. I think what you need id to talk to someone , a therapist or some other trusted confidant.

In brief: Shame

Dr. Brian Lynch
Dr. Brian Lynch
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: Be happy

Your self-worth is not determined by others.
It is ok to have people hate you. Love yourself completely and do not agree with hateful words just listen and be happy on your inside - keep your inner child protected. Be always truthful about how you feel eventually it will work out. It also happens with your/my own kids - not just step kids.

In brief: Be happy

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Umesh Patel