What is a rhizotomy?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: To: Cut the nerve

Rhizotomy literally means [nerve] 'root' (rhiz) 'cut' (otomy).
The goal of a facet rhizotomy, either neck (cervical) rhizotomy or back (lumbar) is to provide pain relief by stopping the pain signals that the spine facet joints send to the brain. Patients undergo facet joint injections to verify the exact location of pain generator then an electrode is then placed/heated (radiofrequency ablation).

In brief: To: Cut the nerve

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Rhizotomy

My understanding of a rhizotomy is that it is a neurosurgical procedure that may have some benefit if patients with spastic paralysis (for example cerebral palsy).
Will refer this question on to our neurosurgical colleagues for more details.

In brief: Rhizotomy

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard