I have diabetes and have started getting fungal infections on my nails. Is this a serious problem?

Diabetes. It is serious because the nail can cause a serious toe infection which can escalate into a more serious conditions such as necrotizing facsiitis and gangrene which can lead to amputation. You should see a foot specialist every 3 months to get your nails debrided properly.
Have it treated. There are topical and oral antifungal medications available for the treatment of nail fungus. Specialized lasers are also now available for treatment of fungal nail infections. Have your nails evaluated and get the appropriate treatment.
Yes, sometimes it is. Diabetics tend to get poor circulation in the feet, poor healing in the feet, and less effective infection-fighting ability from their immune systems. With such problems, fungal infections can spread more easily, spread more deeply, and be harder to treat. Toenail fungus infections can be treated by a primary care doctor, a dermatologist (skin doctor), and/or a podiatrist (foot doctor).
Toe nail fungus. The toe nail fungus is not a serious problem, it is more of a nuisance . Non-diabetics also get fungal toenails and are treated the same way as diabetics for this condition. With this said diabetics immune system is more compromised than a non-diabetic and have a tendency to get more infections , fungal and bacterial. Keep your blood sugar under control, that's your best defense.