Do I need to take an antibiotic to treat my eczema?

Dr. John Kendrick
General Practice

In brief: No

This can be due to an allergic reaction to food hypersensitivity or a reaction to flour, yeast or grain itch mite.
It could also be due to a parasite infestation or herpes virus. Most usually it is due to a combination of genetic susceptibility and environmental factors, with a breakdown of the immune system at the point of the skin barrier.

In brief: No

Dr. John Kendrick
Dr. John Kendrick
Dr. Theodore Cole

In brief: No

Eczema itself is not an infection.
It it usually caused by allergies. The best approach is allergy therapy that can treat all types of exposures: foods, chemicals, and inhalants (dust, mold, etc.). In the meantime, allergy meds can sometimes be helpful.

In brief: No

Eczema itself is not an infection.
Dr. Theodore Cole
Dr. Theodore Cole
Dr. Cindy Juster