Are there alternative treatments available for heel, knee joint pain other than pain meds?

Yes. There are many homeopathic remedies. Physical therapy should be helpful.
Periostitis of os.. If inflammation causes the pain, it should be eliminated. The most common cause for heel specific pain is "periostitis of the os calcus, or heel bone. An appropriate cortisone should bring rapid relief. Then look for the causes. The family of spondyloarthopathies is most likely factorial the layman's term for heel pain is stone bruise." in reiter's syndrome, it was called "lover's heels!".