Do I have to take steroids to get over my eczema flare-up?

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: See a dermatologist

Sometimes a few doses of prednisone------20mg alternate days for 3or 4 doses------is very useful to get you out of a crisis.
Meanwhile you wil need long term basic management. Notice you can get a 16oz jar of triamcinolone cream or ointment for about $30.

In brief: See a dermatologist

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. Latisha Smith
Wound care

In brief: Depends on severity

Eczema is an inflammatory condition of the skin.
Steroids suppress inflammation. If topical steroids, such as Hydrocortisone cream, reduce the eruption then oral steroid therapy is not needed. If however the topical agents fail to control the inflammation then sometimes oral steroids will resolve the flare-up.

In brief: Depends on severity

Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Cindy Juster