Is eczema hereditary?

Dr. Cindy Juster
In brief: Sometimes
Eczema is in the same group of conditions as allergies and asthma, and can run in families the way they do.
It can occur without a family history, though. Also, similar rashes can be caused by contact with irritants or certain metals if you're allergic to them. Use sensitive skin cleanser, avoid bathing in very hot water, and use sensitive skin lotion at least 3 times daily.See your doc if you need.

In brief: Sometimes
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Russell Faust
Great answer. In my practice, infants and children younger than 4 or 5 years of age usually have viral URI as their cause of rhinitis and nasal congestion. The ones in that age range for whom I do seriously consider allergies as the cause of their rhinitis are those with eczema. Eczema is a clear indication of allergic hyper-reactivity and inflammation. Those are the kids who are super-sensitive.
Dr. Robert Jackson
Dermatology
It is usually linked with asthma and hay fever.

Dr. Robert Jackson
Dr. Robert Jackson