I sprained my ankle recently no fractures. I have small swelling- but I still have pain and "it gives up" doc said rest but I feel something else isup?

Dr. Andrea Rodgers
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Grade of sprain

You didn't say how recently.
More severe sprains, grade 2 or 3 can take six or more weeks to heal. If you feel your ankle joint is unstable, still have pain and swelling, you may have a a grade 2 or 3 sprain. I think you should see an orthopedic specialist. Immobilization of your ankle with an ankle brace will help in the meantime. Good luck.

In brief: Grade of sprain

You didn't say how recently.
Dr. Andrea Rodgers
Dr. Andrea Rodgers
Dr. Maria Dumalaog

In brief: See doctor again

Most sprains will get better with rest within 7-10 days, most times less than that.
However if you are not feeling any better, go back and see the doctor. Some fractures we don't see immediately because there is a lot of swelling. As the swelling goes down, things should be more visible. Also, taking anti-inflammatory in the appropriate dose should help immensely.

In brief: See doctor again

Dr. Maria Dumalaog
Dr. Maria Dumalaog
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine