Do I need to see a dermatologist to treat acne, or can my family doctor help me?

Dr. Margaret Mann
Dermatology
In brief: Depends on severity
For the most part, family physicians are trained to take care of simple acne-- using topical medications and oral antibiotics.
But if you have acne that does not respond to routine acne medications, it's time to consider seeing a dermatologist. You family physician may not be updated on all the new advances in acne treatments (creams, pills, peels, laser treatments).

Talk to a doctor for a more personalized answer ›
In brief: Depends on severity
But if you have acne that does not respond to routine acne medications, it's time to consider seeing a dermatologist. You family physician may not be updated on all the new advances in acne treatments (creams, pills, peels, laser treatments). Talk to a doctor for a more personalized answer ›
Do you have a follow-up question?
A doctor is available for you now!
Advice • Prescriptions • Reminders
Get help now
Do you have a follow-up question?
Send a private chat message for expert advice
Dr. Margaret Mann
Dermatology , 11 years in practice
Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Well ... maybe
With recent advances in acne treatment, you will want someone who finds acne interesting.
That can be a family doc, dermatologist or even a plastic surgeon. Call before your appointment and ask, "does the doctor like treating acne?" you deserve someone who has taken the time to keep up on the research and not just prescribe an antibiotic. Do your homework and you'll be satisfied.

Get a more personalized answer to your question ›
In brief: Well ... maybe
That can be a family doc, dermatologist or even a plastic surgeon. Call before your appointment and ask, "does the doctor like treating acne?" you deserve someone who has taken the time to keep up on the research and not just prescribe an antibiotic. Do your homework and you'll be satisfied. Get a more personalized answer to your question ›
Do you have a follow-up question?
A doctor is available for you now!
Advice • Prescriptions • Reminders
Get help now
Do you have a follow-up question?
Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics , 31 years in practice
Dr. Adam Smith