If older person loses a tooth, other than for aesthetics, do they need to replace it?

Dr. Kenneth Rundle
Dentistry

In brief: Usually

The loss of a functional tooth, if not replaced, may cause arch collapse.
In such a case, the adjacent teeth may begin to lean into the space opening gaps with adjacent teeth. The opposing tooth, now without a tooth to function against, may begin to extrude into the space.

In brief: Usually

Dr. Kenneth Rundle
Dr. Kenneth Rundle
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Many Reasons

If a tooth is lost, the adjacent teeth tend to shift over time which causes food to collect between your teeth and results in the risk of cavities and gum problems.
The opposing tooth also tends to drift into the opposing space. This leads to occlusal (bite) problems, collapse of the bite, possible joint and muscle problems and extra forces to the remaining teeth. Hopefully I have made my point.

In brief: Many Reasons

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Steven Saunders

In brief: Loss of tooth

May interfere with properly eating and chewing food.

In brief: Loss of tooth

Dr. Steven Saunders
Dr. Steven Saunders
Dr. Marsha Davis