If older person loses a tooth, other than for aesthetics, do they need to replace it?

Dr. Kenneth Rundle
Dentistry
In brief: Usually
The loss of a functional tooth, if not replaced, may cause arch collapse.
In such a case, the adjacent teeth may begin to lean into the space opening gaps with adjacent teeth. The opposing tooth, now without a tooth to function against, may begin to extrude into the space.

In brief: Usually
Dr. Kenneth Rundle
Dr. Kenneth Rundle
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry
In brief: Many Reasons
If a tooth is lost, the adjacent teeth tend to shift over time which causes food to collect between your teeth and results in the risk of cavities and gum problems.
The opposing tooth also tends to drift into the opposing space. This leads to occlusal (bite) problems, collapse of the bite, possible joint and muscle problems and extra forces to the remaining teeth. Hopefully I have made my point.

In brief: Many Reasons
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Steven Saunders
In brief: Loss of tooth
May interfere with properly eating and chewing food.

In brief: Loss of tooth
Dr. Steven Saunders
Dr. Steven Saunders
Dr. Peter Kurzweil