Could I have scar tissue on my colon after vaginal hysterectomy; and how would I know?

Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Adhesions
Any intra-abdominal process like a hysterectomy can cause scarring/adhesions within the abdominal cavity.
It does not cause actual scarring of the colon unless it was injured intra-op.

In brief: Adhesions
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Adhesions and scar tissue are quite common after any surgery.
The minimal manipulation of the bowel at the time of a vaginal hysterectomy is unlikely to cause significant problems, but it is certainly possible. That risk is further increased in the case of post operative complications like bleeding and/or infection. The only way to know for sure would be to undergo another surgery to look.

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham