Recently had a severe UTI. Finished antibiotic week ago tomorrow. When I pee, I get a terrible pain on my left side of my back. Any ideas what this is?

Dr. Tyra Harris

In brief: Kidney problem

If the clinic did a urine culture, make sure your antibiotic actually treated the infection.
If you have fever or severe pain, go to the ER. Do not wait more than 1-2 days to seek further evaluation of this problem.

In brief: Kidney problem

Dr. Tyra Harris
Dr. Tyra Harris
Dr. Colette Wiseman

In brief: Kidney infection

This sounds like a kidney infection, or pyelonephritis.
The infection may not have been totally treated by the antibiotics and it has progressed up to the kidney. It can then get into your bloodstream which can be very serious. You need to get your urine retested ASAP at an ER, urgent care or your doctors office. Another possibility is a kidney stone but that is less likely.

In brief: Kidney infection

Dr. Colette Wiseman
Dr. Colette Wiseman
Dr. Phillip Goebel
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Needs a recheck

You should have your doctor recheck you to make sure that the infection has cleared and that you do not have signs of an abscess or kidney stones

In brief: Needs a recheck

Dr. Phillip Goebel
Dr. Phillip Goebel
Dr. Jane Van Dis