I finally got my adult acne under control using epiduo gel but now I have dark spots on my face from breaking out before. Will the retin A (tretinoin) help?

Dr. Glynis Ablon
Dermatology

In brief: Actually it may.

Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation is improved with topicals that turnover the top layer of skin like all retinoids do.
I like to combine Retinoic acid with lightening agents to get the most power and improvement. Beta hydroxy acid peels help a lot too.

In brief: Actually it may.

Dr. Glynis Ablon
Dr. Glynis Ablon
Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: Probably not.

Retin A (tretinoin) is helpful for the acne, but can actually contribute to "post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation" ( dark spots following acne) to some degree.
You can add in topical 4% hydroquinone cream as a mild bleaching agent to be used nightly on the hyper-pigmented areas to gradually lighten them up.

In brief: Probably not.

Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Shontae Buffington