I have high ALT (a bit over the regular range) but normal AST. I Don't drink, don't take any medications & negative hepatitis. Female, 25. Any ideas?

Dr. Raymond Schneider

In brief: Probably a virus.

Repeat the enzymes in a couple of weeks that the enzymes are even higher than you might be more concerned.
Not only these tend to go back to normal. The other important point is that we do not treat lab tests, we treat people.

In brief: Probably a virus.

Dr. Raymond Schneider
Dr. Raymond Schneider
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Many possibilities

There are many things that can cause an elevated ALT.
Some of these are minor, but some can be an indication of more serious illnesses, such as liver disease. The first thing I would do is get a repeat of your liver profile, to be sure that they are still elevated. If they are, then a visit to see a gastroenterologist who is knowledgeable in liver disease is recommended.

In brief: Many possibilities

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham