I have an anterior osteophytic ridge that pushed against my esophagus, effacing the mid and right lateral lumen. An ENT recommended surgery. Should i?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Maybe

In my 23 years of practice I have operated on two people with osteophytes so large that it impaired their swallowing.
I have probably seen hundreds of x-rays showing enlarged osteophytes causing an impression upon the esophagus in patients with swallowing difficulty. In almost all cases we were able to come up with other treatments to help their swallowing. I strongly recommend a second opinion.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Patrick Melder
totally agree with Dr. Astrachan. I can't recall a time I have operated on one... but you may.. so keep that in mind... during a second opinon.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Sounds like you are

Uncomfortable. Ask the doc what the approach is and potential side effects, how common is the surgery.
If you live in a city with more than one, get a second opinion. It somes down to how bothersome the problem is to you and the potential benefit versus risk of complication and even death. Choose after being fully informed. Good luck.

In brief: Sounds like you are

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Abe Dumanis
Dentistry

Whatever ENT recommends.

Whatever ENT recommends.
Dr. Abe Dumanis
Dr. Abe Dumanis
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery