I have had urinary tract infection for over one week. I feeltired, have lower back ache and have nausea too. Whatshould I do?

Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: Poss pyelonephritis
Uti may have affected your kidneys.
You have hopefully been on antibiotics, but the medication is either not effective against your UTI bacteria or bacteria have become resistant. Macrodantin, (nitrofurantoin) for instance, is an effective antibiotic for cystitis but not for kidney infections as it does not penetrate into tissues. You need to have urine & blood checked, even more so if not on an antibiotic.

In brief: Poss pyelonephritis
Uti may have affected your kidneys.
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: Urinary infection
You need to see your doctor have exam, urine culture done and get treated with proper antibiotics, if you have UTI with lower back pain.

In brief: Urinary infection
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Wayne Ingram
In brief: Normal, if Rx'd
These symptoms will eventually go away when the UTI is treated with appropriate antibiotics.
Make sure that the antibiotics are not taken on an empty stomach as it can cause nausea.

In brief: Normal, if Rx'd
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Pathology
In brief: See doctor ASAP
Your symptoms suggest pyelonephritis and a need for immediate antibiotic treatement to prevent kidney damage.
If you do not have immediate access to your doctor, it would be prudent to go to the emergency department close to you.

In brief: See doctor ASAP