I have had urinary tract infection for over one week. I feeltired, have lower back ache and have nausea too. Whatshould I do?

Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: Poss pyelonephritis

Uti may have affected your kidneys.
You have hopefully been on antibiotics, but the medication is either not effective against your UTI bacteria or bacteria have become resistant. Macrodantin, (nitrofurantoin) for instance, is an effective antibiotic for cystitis but not for kidney infections as it does not penetrate into tissues. You need to have urine & blood checked, even more so if not on an antibiotic.

In brief: Poss pyelonephritis

Uti may have affected your kidneys.
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Urinary infection

You need to see your doctor have exam, urine culture done and get treated with proper antibiotics, if you have UTI with lower back pain.

In brief: Urinary infection

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: Normal, if Rx'd

These symptoms will eventually go away when the UTI is treated with appropriate antibiotics.
Make sure that the antibiotics are not taken on an empty stomach as it can cause nausea.

In brief: Normal, if Rx'd

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Pathology

In brief: See doctor ASAP

Your symptoms suggest pyelonephritis and a need for immediate antibiotic treatement to prevent kidney damage.
If you do not have immediate access to your doctor, it would be prudent to go to the emergency department close to you.

In brief: See doctor ASAP

Dr. Adam Smith