I was just bitten by my son's hamster. It broke the skin. Do I need a tetanus shot, or will I just clean it with alcohol?

In brief: When was your last

tetanus shot? Hamsters can directly or indirectly transmit Rabies, Tularemia, Salmonellosis, Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus, Dermatophytosis (ringworm, dermatomycosis), Rodentolepiasis and Hymenolepiasis (tapeworms).

In brief: When was your last

Dr. Jalal Zuberi

In brief: Just clean the wound

while pet hampsters generally don't carry tetanus or rabies, even other bacteria (tularemia)l and viral infections and fevers are extremely rare.
After cleaning the wound with soap and water, rinse with antibacterial solution and cover loosely with sterile guaze. Watch for any redness or pus discharge which may indicate superficial infection needing oral antibiotics Deeper bites may need sutures.

In brief: Just clean the wound

Dr. Jalal Zuberi
Dr. Jalal Zuberi
Dr. Jodi Ritsch

In brief: Tetanus shot

Anytime you break the skin, it is important to be up to date on tetanus immunization.
If it has been more than 10yrs, you need a tetanus shot. Clean area and see your doctor if signs of infection develop (if you are up to date with tetanus)

In brief: Tetanus shot

Dr. Jodi Ritsch
Dr. Jodi Ritsch
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care