What is a vaginal ultrasound like?

Dr. Cynthia Palabrica

In brief: Vaginal ultrasound

The probe utilized in a vaginal ultrasound is placed into your vagina.
It is approximately the diameter of a quarter. It provides a closer look at an early pregnancy as well as evaluation of pelvic organs.

In brief: Vaginal ultrasound

Dr. Cynthia Palabrica
Dr. Cynthia Palabrica
Dr. Gregory Gilbert
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Speculum exam?

Maybe one of the female physicians can answer this better than I, but I would expect that it would be similar to a speculum exam by a gynecologist.
It is a probe, designed to go into the vagina that allows the physician to see what's going on inside your abdomen. It is much closer to the abdominal structures so tends to give a better view of certain things when transabdominal U/S fails.

In brief: Speculum exam?

Dr. Gregory Gilbert
Dr. Gregory Gilbert