Pain in upper left abdomen near rib cage. Xray of ribs and blood work on spleen normal. What else could it be? Ulcer maybe?

Many things. Costochondritis of anterior rib not usually seen on xray. Pain in upper abdomen can because by different organs in region.Pancreatitis, gastritis or ulcer, duodenum with duodenitis or ulcer,colitis , and eophagitis and reflux can cause upper abdominal pain. Endoscopy of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum often reveals the problem .Should be referred to gasroenterologist if symptoms continue.