6 doctors weighed in:

I've eaten a mango for 2 days. For some resason while/after i'm eating the seed, my lips become very itchy & swollen. What could this mean?

6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
5 doctors agree

In brief: Mango reaction

Mango peel and sap contain urushiol, the chemical in poison ivy and poison sumac that can cause urushiol-induced contact dermatitis in susceptible people.
Cross-reactions between mango contact allergens and urushiol have been observed. Those with a history of poison ivy or poison oak contact dermatitis may be most at risk for such an allergic reaction.

In brief: Mango reaction

Mango peel and sap contain urushiol, the chemical in poison ivy and poison sumac that can cause urushiol-induced contact dermatitis in susceptible people.
Cross-reactions between mango contact allergens and urushiol have been observed. Those with a history of poison ivy or poison oak contact dermatitis may be most at risk for such an allergic reaction.
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Thank
1 comment
Dr. Arthur Heller
Can also be seen with cashew allergies-same botanical family.
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Christopher Crosby
Board Certified, Dermatology
12 years in practice
93K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors