I have a weird toothache. When I am not chewing it hurts slightly. When I am chewing it doesn't hurt at all. What does that mean?

In brief: Does sound weird

Weird things in medicine are often just unusual symptoms arising from common disorders.
Toothaches come from cavities, eroded enamel, pulp inflammation, sinus infections, etc... Usually, chewing increases pain. If symptoms are mild, all the movement and other sensations during chewing possibly "drown out" the signals from the pain-sensing nerves? During the quiet of "not chewing", pain is sensed?

In brief: Does sound weird

Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: I don't know.

The description is not enough to come up with probabilities.
I do know, however, that it sounds like you need to get in to see a dentist for examination of the area. If anything is wrong, the sooner it is diagnosed, the easier and cheaper it is to fix usually.

In brief: I don't know.

Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
Dr. Maurice Lindly
Dentistry

In brief: See your dentist.

Any tooth pain is reason for concern.
Pain when not chewing is difficult to diagnose without a clinical and radiographic examination. A possible cause is a periodontal problem. See a dentist quickly for a diagnosis and treatment.

In brief: See your dentist.

Any tooth pain is reason for concern.
Dr. Maurice Lindly
Dr. Maurice Lindly
Dr. Vikram Patel