I have had an ankle effusion for a year now. I have tried PT, anti-inflammatory medications and ice. Should I see a doctor to possibly drain it?

Yes. You should see an ankle specialist like an orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist to get a through review of your care to this point and expert evaluation of the ankle. Draining the fluid may provide some temporary relief or further diagnostic information, but the fluid often comes back. .