I have alpha thalassemia trait. Are there programs I can do to train myself to run a race without passing out or getting too fatigued?

Dr. Scott Diede
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Like normal...

A person with Alpha thalassemia trait (two mutated Alpha chain genes and two normal) usually has no symptoms.
You may be slightly anemic, but this should not affect your exercise performance. Perhaps if you were running ultra marathons in the alps you might see an effect, but otherwise you should be able to train normally and do great. Regardless of Alpha thal trait, stay hydrated.

In brief: Like normal...

Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Scott Diede

In brief: A doctor can help

People with thalassemia trait usually have no symptoms.
If one has exercise intolerance, he should work with his primary care doctor, and perhaps a hematologist and sports medicine doctor, to find out why. If related to the thal trait, maybe the person is too anemic. But the fatigue could also have no relationship to the thal trait (that is why a primary doctor can help, by checking other issues).

In brief: A doctor can help

Dr. Jonathan Jassey